Colleen Mills Kurson, LMHC
With all of the stressors in today's world it is very common to experience depression, anxiety, and stress. Dealing with such difficulties can cause an effect on relationships, careers, general well-being, and many other life areas. Counseling can help to address these concerns through an individualized process that you enter into with your therapist. My counseling services will provide you a safe, confidential place to begin a journey of reflection, self-examination, and making changes.
Maybe you are looking for counseling for your child. Children can be greatly impacted by family conflict, difficulties in school, trouble with peers, and other stressors. Adolescents can struggle with stress management, have poor self-esteem or begin to make poor decisions. Often times children don't want to talk about what's going on, but you may have noticed he or she is less energetic, doing poorly in school, or acting out. My counseling services offer children of all ages a comfortable outlet to explore their emotions and help teach them how to cope more effectively.
If any of this sounds familiar, counseling may be a step in the right direction. I personalize counseling to focus on your needs and encourage you to begin a process of change that aims to help you reach your goals. I believe that by working together we can make strides towards a better tomorrow.
My practice provides counseling to children, adolescents, adults, and families.
Specialty areas of focus include the following:
- Adjusting to Illness or Disability (stigma of disabilities, family impact)
- School Issues (students with special education needs, poor academic performance, difficulty with peers)
- Depression & Anxiety (all ages)
- Adolescent Substance Abuse
Other commonly treated presenting problems and concerns:
- Stress Management
- Trauma (survivors of emotional, physical, and sexual assault)
- Behavioral Disorders (anger, oppositional)
- Relationships (divorce, improving social interactions)
- Grief (experiencing pain over loss or changes in life)
- Vocational Problems (unemployment, underemployed)